The Ministry of Trade & Industry is the lead policy advisor to government on trade, industrial and private sector development with responsibility for the formulation and implementation of policies for the promotion, growth and development of domestic and international trade and industry. The Ministry is also the advocate for the private sector within government and is the principal agency responsible for monitoring and implementing the Government’s private sector development programmes and activities. on communication and attention to detail.
The Ministry also ensures that Ghana derives maximum benefit from international trade relations and that domestic trade is conducted in a smooth and orderly manner. Furthermore, it is the responsibility of the Ministry to strengthen trade relations with all friendly countries on a most favoured nation basis consistent with Ghana’s membership of the World Trade Organisation (WTO). Special attention continues to be focused on the diversification of markets and the commodity export base by promoting the development of non-traditional exports industries with the view to developing an export-led economy. In industry, the Ministry’s policy thrust continues primarily to be the development of a more competitive industrial sub-sector with potentials to make in-roads into the international market with value added local products derived from local resources.
- To formulate and harmonize policies that will ensure inter-sectoral collaboration in the implementation of trade and industrial policies both at national and global levels.
- Improve entrepreneurial skills, technological capabilities and accessibility to credit and markets
- To develop programmes and activities for institutional capacity building to meet the challenges of the global market.
- To develop standards and Quality Systems to meet production requirements for local and international markets
- To facilitate the development and promotion of non-traditional Export products.
- To facilitate the development of the production base and Expansion of cross-border trade.
- To collect, collate process, store and disseminate timely and accurate information for stakeholders.
- To facilitate the removal of institutional and legal bottlenecks.
- To facilitate private sector access to capital.
- To ensure that private sector development programmes are complementary and cover broad range of needs.
- To encourage and facilitate the provision of public service by the private sector.
- To facilitate innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Policy formulation
- Facilitating enterprise development including Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSMEs).
- Development and enforcement of standards in trade and industry.
- Promoting and facilitating Ghana internal and export trade with emphasis on diversification and value-addition
- Promoting and facilitating Ghana’s active participation in Global Trade through participation in multilateral and Plurilateral institutions as well as champion Ghana’s market expansion drive.
- Facilitating the development of the Private Sector
- Facilitating innovation and entrepreneurship with both formal and informal sectors to enhance factor productivity.
- The Ministry is involved in activities geared towards Production, commerce and creation of gain employment.